Sunday, March 21, 2010

FreeStyle Navigator Continuos Glucose Monitor




After reading several other blogs of parents with children with type 1 diabetes, I wanted to share my experience with the CGM. Last year we participated in a research study for the FreeStyle Navigator Continuos Glucose Monitor. This particular device had not been used on children under the age of 8 but we were willing to give it a try and it literally changed our lives. Here is a link to an interview I did after the study was completed. http://www.nemours.org/mediaroom/news/2009/diabeticstudy.html

In all honesty I would say using this device has given me about 35% more breathing room on most days depending on how his sugar is fluxuating and it allows me to monitor his levels when he is not with me. It also provides for a small piece of mind when someone other then myself or his father is watching him.

There is much, much more on this topic but once again it is midnight, I have sugar check to do and hopefully a few hours of sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link and the comment on my blog. We've been thinking about a CGM, but are hesitant to have Elise wearing something 24/7. I think at our next endo appt., we're going to see if they'll let us use one as a trial.

    I read some of your blog, and saw that you're really into using diet to help control your son's BG. I lean towards that and try to feed Elise foods that are as natural as possible. But it is such a hard lifestyle, and it's hard to find the energy to keep it up. Another Mom whose blog I read also does this. I'm not sure if you've checked her out, but her name is Alix and you can find the link to her blog on my list. Looking forward to reading more about you and your son!

    ReplyDelete